GageCornelius
I'm wanting to get voxel farm next week, but I have quite a few questions I need answered for clarity, and others for logical understanding. All of these questions are for someone who can't make any changes outside of the SDK, unedited ue4 - so blueprints only.

Besides the water, is there anything in the sample videos that do not work as showcased in UE4? (such as automatic physics enabling of a column that had the bottom half removed)

In Landmark, creating a stone sphere half in the ground would override the material in the ground for the rest of the sphere so long as it was in its volume's range. Would this work in a similar fashion?

It's there anything that cannot be converted to voxel? (such as skeletal mesh, or speed tree models?)

It's the destruction of voxel limited to an area that is removed, or can there be procedural damage to, say, a wall?

Say I had a wall template, could I create a voxel of a fraction of that wall? So rather than making a wall that is 25% constructed, 50%, 75% and 100%, can I make a voxel wall where the height of it would depend on a variable and/or function of my choosing? Remember, only blueprints.

How much of a landscape can be altered in real-time within UE4?

It's there a custom variable or class for the landscape?

Can the editing to the landscape within ue4 be saved?

I'll post more when I think of them. Thank you in advance!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Please find answers below:

Besides the water, is there anything in the sample videos that do not work as showcased in UE4? (such as automatic physics enabling of a column that had the bottom half removed) 

If you were to license next week, you would get Voxel Farm version 2.0.3.106

The UE4 implementation in this version does not include:

- Water (dynamic or not)
- Foliage, trees, shrubs, etc
- UV-mapped voxels
- World editing and physics
- Multiplayer

This is an early integration that is provided as an example for developers on how to connect the two engines. If you can do C++ code, it is not usually a problem to turn this example into a full-fledged game. However if you want blueprint access only, it may be too involved for you. These features (except for dynamic water) will be included in the upcoming Voxel Farm 3 release this August. You will be able to use this from blueprints.

If you license Voxel Farm 2 now, we can give you access to an early Voxel Farm 3 build right away. This one would include:

- Foliage, trees, shrubs
- World editing

In Landmark, creating a stone sphere half in the ground would override the material in the ground for the rest of the sphere so long as it was in its volume's range. Would this work in a similar fashion? 

Yes, this would work the same. Landmark is using Voxel Farm to achieve this.

It's there anything that cannot be converted to voxel? (such as skeletal mesh, or speed tree models?) 

Anything that is a volumetric, closed mesh can be converted to voxel. The trunk of a speed tree could be voxelized but not the foliage.

It's the destruction of voxel limited to an area that is removed, or can there be procedural damage to, say, a wall? 

In the current mode, fractures are always created by players/users. The engine discovers which fragments became free-standing and applies physics to them. The engine will not compute a fracture point for a weak column that is not able to support the weight on top of it.

Say I had a wall template, could I create a voxel of a fraction of that wall? So rather than making a wall that is 25% constructed, 50%, 75% and 100%, can I make a voxel wall where the height of it would depend on a variable and/or function of my choosing? Remember, only blueprints. 

From C++ yes, but not from blueprints in Voxel Farm 2 (see first question).

How much of a landscape can be altered in real-time within UE4? 

Not from blueprints in Voxel Farm 2. From C++, you are in control of the landscape and could put the user/player in control in real time. There are two scales at which you can have change. There is the "voxel" scale, which is similar to the terraforming players do in Landmark. Here you use brushes to carve, smooth and paint the terrain. The other scale is the "procedural" scale. Here you allow the user to provide input at a much larger size. The user would not be controlling final voxels here, but larger terrain features like mountains, valleys, etc.

It's there a custom variable or class for the landscape? 

Yes, but again not from blueprints in Voxel Farm 2.

Can the editing to the landscape within ue4 be saved? 

It can be saved. Your game can decide where to persist the changes. The engine provides callbacks abstracting the actual storage. Voxel Farm 2 also includes a fast memory-mapped database that will take care of that but note this particular DB is Windows-only.
0 0
GageCornelius
What are all of the resources at my disposal? If I end up desperately stumped, could I get assistance?

I understand the logic of programming very well, I just don't know the commands. I was learning programming in college but I suffer from narcolepsy, and dropped out after my car accident.

What would you say would be the level of difficulty to accomplish the things I mentioned in my previous post?

Would it be possible to use soft body modifications to voxel skeleton mesh in place of body morphs? How effective would it be in comparison?
0 0
GageCornelius
Another question: How long would it be, approximately, until multiplayer is working?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You can always write to us at support and we will do our best to help you. We will understand your project and goals and do everything we can to enable you. You will have a direct line of communication with our devs if it is necessary. Aside from that you can look at our online documentation at: http://voxelfarm.com/doc.html

And we just opened these forums. We expect them slowly to build up with tips and solutions to common problems.

If we provide you an early alpha for Voxel Farm 3, most of your goals will be already covered by the example. You will get terrain which you can terraform, support for foliage and small instances, and basic saving of user created data. It should be mostly simple and require no C++ coding.

Our R&D is moving into animated voxels, which is linked to skeletal animation. It is a problem similar to UV-mapped voxels so we have figured out the most difficult part. But there is still a lot of work to do there.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
We will be looking at multiplayer over the next few weeks, but we are not clear when the example will be updated to cover it.
0 0
GageCornelius
I've purchased Voxel Farm Indie, how can I obtain the early access for Voxel Farm 3?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks for your support! Just email us at support and we will send you a link.
0 0