trsh
Open source for non-profit, or pay on earn strategy?
1 0
ashkan.saeedi.1989

This is a commercial product from a small team. They are not epic games or Unity to be able to do such things and still meaningfully be able to develop the project.

I would rather see their licensing takes off even more so They can hire more and develop faster.

This said there are alternatives which are cheaper and less quality and VF's indie version is just $300. I understand this can be much at some situations/countries and for some people but still is affordable and the creator alone is even cheaper IIRC.

0 0
trsh
But what is the problem with get on earn strategy? Technically company doesn't lose any money. They even WIN, because some small dev studios/indies, that have no startup budget, can still try and success. Don't think Unreal is giving away money, they always think how to get more.
1 0
voxelfarmtorres
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "Open Source"? UE4's license grants you access to the engine code for 5% royalties. This is equivalent to the Voxel Farm PRO license, where a yearly subscription grants you access to the full source code. These are not exactly open source licenses.

If you would like the Voxel Farm codebase to be accessible in a source control repository, where all licensees can contribute, it is a great idea and we are working towards that goal, but still far from it. At the moment we do not have enough resources to look at pull requests and make sure contributions by the community do not go to waste.
0 0
Zimnel
A version repository would be nice : )
0 0
trsh
OK i'm gona write down some scenarios to make my point:

a) Maybe?

1) VF gives away free (with royalties) pro license.
2) I try to integrate it into my favorite open source game engine.
3) If I fail, nobody cares.
4) If I success, I can make a game with this mix and pay VF royalties.
5) If I success, I can make non commercial product and promote VF.

6) Others can use this integration, develop games and pay VF royalties.
7) Etc

b) Now

I pay 1k euros, try to integrate it into my favorite open source game engine and FAIL, and can bang my head against the wall! So considering this, I don't even try. VF and I get nothing from this.

c) Now

I see 1k price, look into my pockets, start to cry, and do nothing 😃. VF and I get nothing from this.

1 0
voxelfarmtorres
We tried royalties before. It was a deterrent since most people and companies start projects assuming they will be widely successful, so psychologically it was perceived as a very expensive price tag. There was also the problem of enforcing this, to make it work the license would grant VF audit rights over your organization or person. 

On the other hand, most likely you do not need a PRO license to integrate VF with a third party game engine. Most likely this engine runs in Windows. In this case, the VF INDIE license will do perfectly for an integration. Note that the INDIE SDK contains full source code for both integrations to UE4 and Unity. Most likely your integration with your favorite game engine will follow the same lines. Regarding source code, the difference between PRO and INDIE is only the low-level VF libraries. You do not need to modify those to integrate with a game engine. 

The INDIE has a free trial that should be sufficient to test integration with your favorite engine. If you need more time to evaluate, we will gladly extend your trial period.
0 0
huiAPPOAJ
Man did you abandon the project? Everything seems so quiet - a few new posts on forums here and there from time to time from nerds interested in the project, but basically zero discussion, your YouTube channel has been liking e-celebs and Minecraft videos for over a year now with no news about Voxel Farm, no news on Twitter for half a year, when I click on anything in the learn section, "Page not found" pops up. Is this project dead and won't be updated anymore while you milk some money on subscriptions or is there still someone working on it? If it is dead, you should release the engine as one-time payment purchase for when you shut this down completely I am at least still able to work with it. Or if someone is still there please make some vids on YouTube and inform us about the new features. Your tech is cool but the presentation is really off-putting.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
It is quite the opposite, the project and the company continue to grow. It is true we have not posted any new videos on YouTube for the past year, but you will find many new videos and screenshots in our twitter feed and also in Miguel's and Benoit's (Ginsen). They have been quite busy for the past few months. Are you following the right accounts? Also, all links in the Learn section should be functional. If you see any broken links there please report them and we will correct them right away.

A major release (3.0.1.7) is scheduled for the next week or so, this will bring a fully reworked Unity plugin and support for UE4.21 and 4.22.
0 0
huiAPPOAJ
Thanks for your fast response. I've been lurking just on VoxelFarm twitter, so I will definitely look up the other ones. As for the documentation section, I've now tried to open it on my other computer with Windows/Chrome and it works but when I try to open it on my Macbook/Safari it just says Page cannot be found. So it is probably issue just on Safari or my computer.
I'm planning to use your engine for my project so I'm happy it's not dead. Good luck.
1 0
JokahPokah
Does indie version have educational discounts 
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
At the moment we do not have discounts on the price, but we can offer two years worth of a subscription for the price of just one year. Please email us to support@voxelfarm.com from your educational institution email if you want to take advantage of this offer.
1 0
JokahPokah

Edu ins email? you mean from their website email or gmail?  So far I have gained Education benefits from Zbrush, Substance Painter, Maya etcs, they ask for Teacher/Student ID card with havin "Joining Date" is it what you need?

I don't know but I feel like this Voxel Studio have potential to make "Realistic Worlds" maybe we see this in future to create real matrix haha 😃 I'd like to train my skill on Voxel Farm combined way with UE4 and make "Realistic World" really fast. It will be strictly Demonstration purpose , I'd put it on website with a link to voxel farm so for youtube vid.

A suggestion though, not a truth, just a personal opinion rather putting a 30Day trail as it kills peace of the one using, you could put a Voxel contain limit to the plug of ue4 like a person can not export more than 3-5 scenes / actors in normal Studio License then put unlimited export option for indie and pro. It won't panic the user as user feels he has time to explore the integrated combination that brings "Good Feeling". While anyone who's really passionate about this industry has to spent 16 hours to create a Very polished contain. This turns on panic button which seeds " nah this software is not for me feeling" which can backfire the popularity of the software.

looking forward 😃

0 0
Aperture Science Labs
Should have looked through the forums before posting; yes Open Source should be used (with royalties) as personally for an engine like this, I would share a continuous 20% of a project's revenue if it heavily used Voxel Farm.
-=ASL=-
1 0