Mystfit
Landmark and voxel building was my heart. I loved it so very much but quit playing before it's sunsetting due to what I felt was some bad updates and not so great decisions, but man I admire their vision. They had guts!
Are we anyway on the road to a new 'gamified' version of Voexl Farm?
0 0
jadam
actualy not exactly same game than landmark's game.

if you used the new version of VoxelStudio, it is more easy to create but you need to learn how the macro is used in VS3.

Recently, you have Phantom on steam for 22.90 € in beta or alpha.
This game is based on Post-Apocalyptic ScyFy design with a lot of similitude than Landmark.
0 0
bolliz
Closest I get to Landmark nowadays is 7 Days to Die. Not really sure if they use voxelfarm or not.

That said, I truely miss Landmark. I suspect we have to wait 3-5 years before anything as good pops up. Im hoping 7DaysToDie will get more sophisticated building tools as its developed. But damn, why did they have to f..k it up with Landmark [confused]
0 0
Kovak

Landmark folding was part of the reason I ended up purchasing a Voxelfarm license last year. I disliked that they didn't have as much of the crafting/survival elements found in Minecraft but loved the potential for a more high-def voxel world with better physics, etc. Others have mentioned some of the currently available voxel farm games, but I wanted to address the second question: Are we anyway on the road to a new 'gamified' version of Voxel Farm?

We are definitely on the road. The Unreal and Unity plugins that were released last year and have been under heavy development since then are a huge step in the right direction of lowering the barrier for developers to actually get a game together. I do not have unity experience, but there has been massive progression on the unreal plugin over the last year. Most of this has been about ensuring that Voxelfarm talks to Unreal really well so that we can have performant voxel scenes that integrate properly with the game engine. We are still in a very 'experimental' stage, but the experiments are going really well imo. From what I've seen, a lot of us developers are still struggling with many basic features/tasks but that is to be expected from an api like Voxelfarm that is new, novel, and focused on solving hard problems 'the right way'. I have been spending my weekend time for the last few months on trying to get multiplayer up and running as this is one of the big gaps in our knowledge atm, and I seem to be enticingly close but not quite there yet. We can't have more landmark like games until we get that sorted out so hopefully it'll be soon. 

The way I see it there are a couple large 'tasks' that the community needs to have defined answers for before we can really start building wonderful games similar to landmark:

1. Getting multiplayer working in Unity/Unreal.

2. How to place non-voxel instances in the world using Voxel Studio and then when loading them into our game, make sure we can run custom code on them so that things like trees/grass/anything else the developer can think of can have game specific behavior beyond just showing up on screen.

3. Some type of scheme for adding non-voxel objects to the world (items, creatures, barrels, chests, whatever the developer desires) that allows these objects to be saved to the world and loaded on demand when you come close enough to them as you are exploring the world. Since Voxelfarm renders worlds much larger than can be loaded at once this will need to be similar to how voxelfarm manages its voxel scenes but unique to the game engine so that when we load up a chunk of the world and we're close enough to the player we also load up all the other game objects on that chunk.

4. Methods for calculating how many voxels were added/removed when voxel edits have been made. This doesn't come out of the box yet, but is fairly necessary if you want your game to have some type of 'accounting' where voxels have a sense of value (basically minecraft creative mode versus minecraft survival mode, creative is easy to achieve at the moment, it is less clear how to go about achieving the latter)

5. How to introduce vertically stacked layers of different voxel materials and pepper them with ores and other goodies for harvesting so that digging yields interesting results.

Some of these things might be out of the wheelhouse of Voxelfarm itself, but are absolutely necessary for us as the community to work out before we can really get to the work of building specific games.

My hope is that within another year we have documented, designed answers for the above issues and we don't spend so much time spinning our wheels on these things.

3 0
bolliz
Not a developer here, so I wish everyone that are willing to take on the task good luck. Im pretty sure the demand for a Landmark-ish game is out there in the gaming community. There is already several blocky attempts on the table, Boundless and Stellar Overload come to mind. I havent played those games, but they seem to be a step up from Minecraft...but not in the same league as Landmark.
2 0
Mystfit
I was hoping they would let someone pick up Landmark and fix all the things that were mucked up near the end. As much as I loved it with all my heart, the day I made a large cube shaped item and it was all warped on one side, was the day I stopped logging in. But, there was a window there....at around 6 months into beta....where they coulda stopped right there, kept adding in more props and emitters and I could have lived happily [wink]
1 0
huahuapro
may be you can check this out

it's Phantom, on the way.
0 0
jadam
when do you change the UI in English [smile]? Community can help if you like.
0 0
bolliz
Good`ol Bohemia interactive seems to have a voxel game going on. Hear about this game awhile back, but dismissed it quickly because of the graphics. But I didnt know it was a voxelbased game.

0 0
Zimnel
Kovak, I hope you find some of those answers. Craving for a Landmark-like game with non cubic, non faceted graphics.
1 0