Brent R Mantel

Hello! First of all let me thank the Voxel Farm team for releasing a Trial, which I used as much as I could, I was not sure I was going to have the technical skills required to get this software to work. Now that I have been working with it for some time, I have a few questions that I will ask as I become stumped in my implementation.

The first issue is with how Beaches and Snow biomes in the smart biome generation method are placed.

Review:

DeepAssSnow.jpg 

As you can see, the snow extends seemingly infinitely underground at the edge it shares with the Default and Deposition layers on the right.

I'm curious if there is a way to layer these terrain types vertically, so that in cases where Snow is placed, it only extends along the y axis for a certain depth before there would be a horizontal line dividing snow from default or deposition terrain types.

This same logic would ideally be applied to other boundaries as well, such as having Deposition and Default terrain types exist to a certain depth, beneath which would be solid rock layers.

Does Voxel Farm currently support a means to achieve these results?

0 0
ryobg
Their default terrain component is behaving like this. It basically prompts what's on top and extend it in the vertical. If they don't have plans to change that, you would likely have to get your hands in some C++ code and make your own plugin and/or update their code (if you have pro).
0 0
Brent R Mantel
Just from my early impression having imported a few different terrain types into Unity, it appears that the client creates a single layer, much like a plane, and deformations are applied to the plane such that it appears that materials poke through. It might be more costly on the generating computer's resources to draw several of these layers so that there are built-in depth boundaries, but with all the work going into the Cloud functions, that might be a solid result.

For now, I believe my band-aid will be to simply remove the snow biomes entirely from my project and attempt to lay shallow snow on top of terrain using the planting rules, or another system once it's imported into Unity. If at a later date I can afford Pro, I may attempt to do as ryobg suggests and monkey with the terrain generation myself.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
A technique that may help is to stack more than one voxel terrain. It requires you to create a second terrain object programmatically and add it under your current terrain. If you use the same heightmap and tiling settings for both terrains, but with some vertical shift, this will create a new layer of material at the desired depth. Consider adding displacement to the new layer to create variation in the depth of your outer material crust.
0 0
Brent R Mantel
Torres, I have tried copying and pasting an existing terrain object, but that does not work. You suggest doing this programmatically, does this mean that I would need to upgrade from Indie to Pro in order to achieve this?
0 0
ryobg
You can do that through the Voxel Extensions. Look around the docs.
0 0