Morcrist
This bug has been around since 2017. Ncpaddler made a video explaining how to get around it, and I can confirm as of a day or so ago that you still need to use his step to get it to work.

Basically, if I import a mesh, make a mesh instance, and then add a planting rule to a MATERIAL for my mesh instance...it works perfectly.

But if I then go to a terrain layer (e.g., after creating a new smart biome) and add a planting rule to the terrain layer in the same way I did with the material...it doesn't work at all.

UNLESS...

I add a voxel instance to the planting rule.

Once I do that, the mesh instance shows up in the planting rule and I can then delete the voxel instance from the planting rule.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks for the report, we will attempt to reproduce now.
0 0
Morcrist
Diley, thank you.

While we're on the subject...I've searched the documentation and this forum and can't find any explanation of the settings in the Planting Rule.

I've got a problem where after I do the above Voxel Instance trick to get my mesh instance to show in my biome's terrain layer, even if I put the Decimate to 0 it only has relatively sparse instance placement.

What is the determining factor? If I had to guess it would be the x/y/z size of the mesh instance maybe? Because if I follow the tutorial for placing a mesh instance on a material (i.e., the yellow_flower1.fbx) I have to make the decimate really high or the flowers SATURATE the material.
0 0
Morcrist
I tried adjusting the size of the mesh instance from 200/200/200 to 50/50/50 (which worked visually as far as size went) but the placement density didn't change. In fact, when I changed decimate from 0.01 to 0.99 it didn't do anything noticeably different!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
The actual instance size does not matter regarding density. Aside from the decimation setting, other possible causes for a sparse placement is angle settings and whether the terrain layer is exposed enough. We can take a look at your particular setup if you provide the files.
0 0
Morcrist
Diley were you able to reproduce the bug?
0 0
Morcrist
Still interested in whether this is isolated or able to be replicated.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I apologize again, verifying this bug has been pushed down several times in the priority list.
0 0