Morcrist
This bug has been around since 2017. Ncpaddler made a video explaining how to get around it, and I can confirm as of a day or so ago that you still need to use his step to get it to work.

Basically, if I import a mesh, make a mesh instance, and then add a planting rule to a MATERIAL for my mesh instance...it works perfectly.

But if I then go to a terrain layer (e.g., after creating a new smart biome) and add a planting rule to the terrain layer in the same way I did with the material...it doesn't work at all.

UNLESS...

I add a voxel instance to the planting rule.

Once I do that, the mesh instance shows up in the planting rule and I can then delete the voxel instance from the planting rule.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks for the report, we will attempt to reproduce now.
0 0
Morcrist
Diley, thank you.

While we're on the subject...I've searched the documentation and this forum and can't find any explanation of the settings in the Planting Rule.

I've got a problem where after I do the above Voxel Instance trick to get my mesh instance to show in my biome's terrain layer, even if I put the Decimate to 0 it only has relatively sparse instance placement.

What is the determining factor? If I had to guess it would be the x/y/z size of the mesh instance maybe? Because if I follow the tutorial for placing a mesh instance on a material (i.e., the yellow_flower1.fbx) I have to make the decimate really high or the flowers SATURATE the material.
0 0
Morcrist
I tried adjusting the size of the mesh instance from 200/200/200 to 50/50/50 (which worked visually as far as size went) but the placement density didn't change. In fact, when I changed decimate from 0.01 to 0.99 it didn't do anything noticeably different!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
The actual instance size does not matter regarding density. Aside from the decimation setting, other possible causes for a sparse placement is angle settings and whether the terrain layer is exposed enough. We can take a look at your particular setup if you provide the files.
0 0
Morcrist
Diley were you able to reproduce the bug?
0 0
Morcrist
Still interested in whether this is isolated or able to be replicated.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I apologize again, verifying this bug has been pushed down several times in the priority list.
0 0
Morcrist
Unfortunately this kind of behavior is still occurring in VS. Namely, planting rules most of the time work fine on materials, but on layers they do not, or result in VERY sparse placement no matter what decimate is set to. It defaults to 0 so one would expect saturation coverage.

I'm still interested in particular bug was able to be replicated, or if the team was ever able to look into it.
0 0