Webbrowser
Heya,

Been working on my trailer for the past while, and came across a couple bugs which I figured I might as well report.

-UE4 Start-LOD can't be set below 2
-Layer Maximum-Height doesn't work
-Layer Vertical-Shift doesn't work
-High shift values on layers causes the optimised version to appear wrong (same for exported version)
-Copying heightmaps generated by the continent system crashes Voxel Studio
-Can't copy masks and heightmaps from a continent system to a non-continent system
-Selecting to change a mask or heightmap in a continent system doesn't allow you to select anything
-The Node Editor view isn't big enough for a continent system
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks for the report.

UE4 uses the actual LOD value, which starts at 2 (see LOD_0 constant). While this is misleading, it is correct.
0 0
Webbrowser
Alright, so how can I change that to LOD 0? Voxel Studio is capable of rendering LOD 0, and I would like to display LOD 0 through C++ and Unreal as well.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You do not need to change it. A value of 2 in UE4 is equivalent to the zero you see in the Voxel Studio UI. 
0 0
Webbrowser

And yet Voxel Studio shows more detail than Unreal Engine does. Voxel Studio shows a lot of spikes, whereas Unreal Engine shows just a budged mountain. They are in no way rendering the same thing. My logical assumption was LOD2 vs LOD0?

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
There are other options that also contribute to the scene layout, for instance scene resolution and base LOD radius. What settings do you have for these in both Voxel Studio and UE4?
0 0
Webbrowser
As far as I know, I left all the settings to default. Didn't change anything in UE4, that's for sure.
Also kind of hard to see the numeric values on these windows, so screenshots seemed like a better solution.

Untitled_.png  Untitled_.png 
0 0
Webbrowser
I ended up solving it by copying over all the values inside the project.dat file into C++. Which meant there had to be a bug somewhere inside the bundle loader.
Apparently, the bundle loader doesn't read decimal values. So a maskCutMin of 0.2 became 0, and a heightmapFreq of 166.2316 became 166...
Hope it helps!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks, it helps. Are you using another language than English in your Windows OS?
0 0
Webbrowser
I might be using Dutch? Not sure. It's using commas in the decimal values rather than points. That might be it.
0 0
Webbrowser
Found another bug.
The instances created for the engine to render have a variable mayOverlap. Setting this to true doesn't actually prevent it. I ended up adding a line of code that called architectureManager->addEntity at the end of InstanceManager.cpp -> generateInstancesGeneric which ends up causing the volumeIsClear to at least be triggering. However, from the looks of it there's a bug somewhere in the node tree system implemented.

Now, I might be wrong on implementing that line.. Is there any way we might be able to fix this bug? Perhaps together? I've got about a week left before the scene has to be done and this would be quite a buzzkill..
Untitled_.png 
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
The ArchitectureManager component is not a factor in this case, this component is only used for real time LSystems, it is not active when planting instances over terrain.

Have you considered using the "decimate" property in the planting rules to get the density you want for the forest? I will double check with the team on Tuesday (Monday is holiday in Quebec), but setting "MayOvelap" to true means it is OK for the instances to overlap.

Where exactly are you setting the MayOverlap property?
0 0
Webbrowser

Thank you for getting back to me fast 🙂

I've removed that line of code again and working with the decimate variable right now. This will still cause the items to overlap though, won't it?
The mayOverlap=false is set in both C++ and Voxel Studio (for some reason the value isn't read properly in the VoxelFarm::Bundle::initProject and set to true anyway, so I change it right after going out of that function). The sizeX and sizeZ are set to 40000, so with the mayOverlap=false, I was assuming there to be like a dosen trees?

Values I set:

In the planting rule:
angleMin = -90;
angleMax = 90;
decimate = 0.9;
maskFreq = 0;
maskLacunarity = 0;
maskOctaves = 0;
maskScaleX = 0;
maskScaleY = 0;
maskScaleZ = 0;
maskStep = 0;
maxHeight = 1000000;
minHeight = 0;
mirrorX = true;
mirrorY = false;
mirrorZ = true;
rotateX = false;
rotateY = true;
rotateZ = false;
shiftMax = 0;
shiftMin = 0;

In the mesh:
anchorX = 0.5;
anchorY = 0;
anchorZ = 0.5;
asset = "pine_007";
mayOverlap = false;
sizeX = 40000;
sizeY = 100000;
sizeZ = 40000;
Untitled_.png 

0 0
Webbrowser
Found another bug. tga files aren't displayed on the Item Preview.

Also wonder what kind of coordinates the vertices have to be in for the shadowMap to work properly? So far it seems like it's on the range from [-0.5;0.5] once they go into the shadowCoord, but what's the original input for glVertex? 0 to 16383 with 8191 being the player location? (cellrender shader)
0 0
Webbrowser

And images change colour after being imported into VF? Even bmps?

Also wondering how I could implement transparency into the textureMap? Because my tga and png files lose their transparency...

0 0