ryobg
Hi,

I was looking at https://forums.voxelfarm.com/post/custom-continent-8346187?pid=1294257239

and wondered:

1. What is the difference between Ocean, Ocean Shelf and Littoral geo types? What VF does differently about them?
2. Same for Landmass and Mountain? In fact what different Geo types do actually?
3. Same question for the Biomes types? What VF will do differently if one biome is "Temperate Forest" and the other is "Temperate Deciduous Forest"? 
4. Why there are no any water biomes? This means we cant use layers underwater?

If there is any info out there that I could read for these answers - let me know.

Thank you!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) The difference is where these are placed by the continent generator. Littoral is adjacent to the landmass, Ocean Shelf is between Ocean and Littoral, and Ocean is the rest, where it goes really deep.

2) Same difference here, the continent generator will place mountain biomes in areas that were produced as mountain ranges, everything else is landmass.

3) These land biomes will be assigned to zones depending on temperature and humidity, which is derived from altitude, base temperature, and wind direction.

4) Ocean, Ocean Shelf, and Littoral are water biomes.
0 0
ryobg
Thanks! So:

1) I can use Ocean, Ocean Shelf and Littoral as I use Desert, Tundra, Taiga and etc. identifiers when assigning layers, disp/masks? If so that's great - I was concerned that the underwater is not under control.
2) Consequently, I can use one of the allowed Biome identifiers when creating custom continent... So I can assign snow material on desert, or grass on the Ocean shelf? Freedom?
3) I dont understand how VF continent mode temperatures play role then, especially when I control the material placement through layers...

Basically, I dont use the New Continent Wizard.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) You can use all these biome IDs to assign biomes. Each biome will contain its own set of layers.

2) You can set any layers or materials you want to any biome. The biome classification is there just to provide a starting point, and also if you use the Continent Generator feature, to provide a common understanding between the tool and the artist.

3) If you are not using Continent Generator, the temperature still has a role for the special snow mask. The mask will have a positive value when the temperature is below zero. Note this is applied to the mask, which in turn can be used by a layer that sets any material you want, typically something that looks like snow in this case. The other special mask is the beach line, which you can use to layer sand and other beach features, but this special mask does not depend on temperature.
1 0
ryobg
Many thanks! I understand now better the system. Too bad that there are no more Biome IDs - I intent to use different landscapes per one ID.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Note you have the combinations of all geo types and biome types at your disposal. How many different biomes do you need in your custom map?
0 0
ryobg
That I missed. So per Geo type I have Biome type -> 5 times 9 = 40 biomes. From these in fact 2 are over sea, i.e. 18 biomes available. Maybe will be enough. I target like 1000 km map, and if I have 50% water/land, then this is like 500 sq.km. If I spawn each biome to be like 27 km wide, then it is enough... I have to check out how these numbers will work out [smile] If I use and meta-meshes on custom locations, that can add ...
0 0
ryobg
P.S. If you ever feel like enabling the rest of the byte (or bigger portion) values for biome identifiers - that would be nice, well if you really don't have any plans for them. On my side I can somewhat easily produce biomes, but some of them can be smaller or for specific purpose, then on bigger terrain 18 is not so much. You don't need to name them I suppose, just be included in the calculation... Just my share. [thumb]
0 0