MrIcare
Hello, 

I've been giving a try at voxel farm for approximately 3 weeks. 

I aim at producing a single (non repeating) continent of relatively small size (100kmx100kmx4km). I successfully created heightmaps and the continent (following https://forums.voxelfarm.com/post/custom-continent-8346187).

My continent is made of sharp landmarks such as fjords, canyons or mountain peaks which exhibit aliasing artifacts coming from the big height difference between neighboring pixels in the heightmaps.

What would be the most "voxelfarm"-like solution to use in this case ? 
   - The dumbest solution would be to increase the heightmap resolution but this does not scale well and would still present smaller artifacts.
   - The meta-mesh/material way however it seems that this would work for canyons but not for fjords (which would be "negative" space) also this requires extensive manual interaction.

-----
I also have a few questions/suggestions:

1 - I was wondering if there is a reason to limit the number of biome types or geography types ? Especially in fantasy setup, where "magical" biomes could require more types or "hacking" with the system. Are those type used internally ?

2 - Maybe it's not documented, but having a way of automating the graph node generation would be welcome or meta mesh placement would be extremely appreciated.

3 - The possibility to un/zoom & scroll in the node editor view. Maybe I missed it but it makes using it extremely cumbersome.

Thanks a lot for your help !

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You should be able to get nice fjords. Normally you can place heightmap points at 10 to 5 meters. Then you have an additional displacement map adding detail from the 10m to 0.3 meter range. This allows for very detailed content, not sure what could be causing the blockiness you see.

1) The current list is imposed by the continent generator. This is a Voxel Studio thing. In practice, each biome you instance uses a strength map. The fixed biome types are used by Voxel Studio to compute the strength maps. You could ignore the concept of biome type and produce as many biomes as you like, each one with a custom strength map that will ultimately determine its occurrence in the world.

2) It is not clear to us what you mean here, could you extend your explanation?

3) Unfortunately, this is not an option at the moment. The node editor is using standard windows components which are not amenable to scaling.
0 0
MrIcare
Having a heightmap covering a 100x100km with points every 10 or 5 meters would be huge in terms of memory. Is VoxelFarm able to handle such big (like at the very least 100mo) images ?
Also due to the tiling nature of biomes, unique/landscape details can't really be added in them or I do not see how. If the biome repeats only once on the whole continent, then it has the same resolution and the same problem as the continent heightmap. If it's tilling more frequently, aligning the two is another challenge I did not figure out yet.

I was working with a point every 100 meters (1024x1024 pixels) which at human scale was producing those artifacts.

2) At the moment the only way I found to define biomes in the node editor is manually, similarly for meta mesh placement which seems to be only manual as well. Is there a way to do it entirely automatically ?
So having a file with references to a mesh and a transformation into the voxel world or having a file describing the different biomes and maps to use.
This was related to my problem. In case this is possible, I could generate such file easily (so basically dig or build my fjords/canyons by automatically placing meta meshes). Another example would be building cities with particular layouts and buildings. A file describing the placement of the buildings, roads, etc could be easily procedurally generated to alleviate for the cumbersome manual placement.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
There are multiple approaches available, depending on your visual and gameplay requirements you should be able to find a suitable solution:

First approach: Default terrain component

Like you mentioned, having 100x100km at 10 to 5 meter resolution would be a lot of data. You probably do not want your game distribution to be that large. Voxel Farm components allow you to attack this problem in a similar fashion to how 3D scenes are textured. With some notable exceptions, virtual worlds are not uniquely textured. This is because this produces a lot of data. In order to save memory, you use the same texture in different places within the same world. You can extrapolate this principle to how you create your world's terrain. Instead of textures, we have biomes. To each biome you can apply a strength mask, determining where the biome appears. These masks can be of much lower resolution since they do not capture actual elevation. Like textures, biomes will tile, and you can adjust how the frequency at which the biome will tile.

With this approach, you will have highly detailed fjords, but some portions will repeat. The repetition is a problem only when it is perceived. A single biome will have enough content for several kilometers. You can also displace the base of the biome using a low-resolution heightmap, breaking most visual patterns. You also save authoring time. If you were to create unique data for 100x100Km at 0.3m resolution, it would be too costly.

Second approach: Meta-meshes

Use Meta-mesh component. This component can be linked to Voxel Farm spatial database from which only the portion actually in use are in memory. This approach also allows you to provide any shape you want to the virtual world.
0 0