Intrepidvagabond
Hello,

I'm hoping to develop a video game with the Voxel Farm plugin for Unreal 4, once Voxel Farm Version 3 is available. I would like to release an external editor for my game before the completion of the full game. It would allow players to create assets for the game before its ready to be released. It will resemble the editor of the new voxel game Planet Nomads, but will share the more advanced voxel manipulation functionality of Landmark and Planet Explorers. 

I would like to offer the player the ability to create weapons, character equipment, vehicles, and structures, which would then be exported into the game proper once all the relevant systems are in place.

https://www.planet-nomads.com/editor/

Also borrowing from Space Engineeers I would like to incorporate a script interpreter into the game that would allow players to program and execute various functions which will control the actions of in-game objects. If I wished to expose functions specific to Voxel Farm would that be possible with the binary SDK included in the Indie version of Voxel Farm?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Sounds like a game we would play! [smile]

This would all be possible with the binary SDK from the INDIE version, as long as your product is Windows-only. If you want to support other platforms through UE4, you will need PRO so the source code can be built for the target platform.
0 0
Intrepidvagabond
hey voxelfarmtorres,

thanks again for your swift response. On the matter of the external editor for my game. Will the Indie version SDK allow me to customize what building features will be allowed in the game editor, placing restrictions on what options to manipulate the world within the editor, and does it allow me to customize the GUI and replace the layout and graphics with my own?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
The INDIE license does not include a full-fledged editor you can customize, rather examples of how the tools can be called to perform actions. The examples perform basic Minecraft-style editing, plus other tools like stamping meshes in real time, smoothing surfaces, running and voxelizing the output of L-Systems (Prefabs). This is all covered in the examples, but there is no complex UI on top of this.

The INDIE license will allow you to plug your UI into the engine calls that ultimately perform the actions. The engine can perform some very common tasks like visualizing a block cursor over the world. Beyond that, it is up to the application to build logic on top of this. For your project, you would need to create the UI. In that sense, you would not be "replacing" a layout. You would be just placing yours.

0 0
Intrepidvagabond
Hey voxelfarmtorres,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my ill-informed questions. I had not understood how the Voxel Farm system worked when it came to plug it into other engines. 'Til this point I had only been familiar with the Voxel Studio. I actually prefer this more flexible approach to integrating the systems into the Unreal Engine to what I had imagined would be involved.
0 0