Blargenflargle

As per Ericool's request, I am making this another topic.

I am currently making a networked multiplayer Unity game where different players could end up quite far away from each other. On the client side of things, everything makes sense. Players each get their own Voxelfarm client so I don't have to think about that. But if I want to verify player movement on the server I'll have to simulate a small area around each player for collision / pathfinding purposes. How would I go about doing this? The documentation is a little messy, and I don't know C++ so I'm more lost than I should be.

What functions are available through the API that can load specific chunks for this purpose? When I load chunks do I have to manually unload them? I just need the building blocks and I can put it together, though it'd be awesome if you just built it too lol. Thanks!

0 0
Blargenflargle
All I need to know is how to make a single chunk load. What needs to be called to do that?
0 0
Blargenflargle

I've found this: https://forums.voxelfarm.com/post/multiplayer-with-voxel-farm-8411336

In the thread voxelfarmtorres says that an authoritative Unity server is "on the roadmap" 3 years ago. I also notice that there are some Demo's under the SDK directory, multiple of them being for "servers." Would any of these fit my needs? If so, where can I find documentation on them? If not, when will the Unity authoritative server be released? Thanks.

0 0
rjohnson
I don't know of a way to load chunk out of the box. I ended up having to modify the plugin to get the mesh for a given cell in a way that was not tied to the clipmap. Check out VoxelFarmDemoSimple.cpp for an example. Also check VoxelFarmInit.cpp : void VoxelFarm::Client::CVoxelFarm::ContourWork()  . I basically copied what the function was doing, but stripped it down to just baking the nav mesh. 
1 0
Blargenflargle
Cool, thanks! I'd still love an answer about the official Unity authoritative server.
0 0
Blargenflargle
Hello. Still would like an official response about the Unity authoritative server. Thanks!
0 0