Morcrist
Completely frustrated with Unity's built in grass functionality, I broke down and bought Infinigrass. It has the ability to allow you to paint on Unity terrain (which is useless to me), but it also allows you to paint on any arbitrary mesh as long as you tag it with a custom tag.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to tag Voxel Farm's meshes with custom tags. Tagging the Voxel Farm Client object and applying to all children doesn't work. Heh. I feel stupid not knowing why, and for that matter now knowing why there's no way to "un-hide" the meshes VF generates.

Anybody have a clue what I need to do to be able to paint on Voxel Farm's generated meshes?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I'll pass this one to our devs as soon as they return from the long weekend (it is Canadian Thanksgiving...)
0 0
Eugeny
To see all generated gameobjects you can search in VoxelFarm plugin for "HideFlags."

1) Replace

HideFlags.HideInHierarchy | HideFlags.HideInInspector | HideFlags.NotEditable;

With

HideFlags.NotEditable

2) Replace

HideFlags.HideAndDontSave

With

HideFlags.DontSave
0 0
Morcrist
Diley, did the devs ever get back from their Canadian Thanksgiving?

[wink]
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Yes, most of them came back, of which some are still recovering [smile]

Apologies for neglecting your question. I'll put it in front of the team tomorrow.
0 0
Ericool
Hi Morcrist,
you can set the cells and their seam tag in the script voxelfarm_cellSolidManager.cs at line 154 and 414 for the gameObjects newSeamInstance and newCellInstance. And as suggested by Eugeny you can also comment or replace the hideflags , including clientFlags located in voxelfarm_client.cs. Let us know if you still cannot make your plugin work with ours. [smile]
0 0
Morcrist
Ok, that worked guys. Thank you. I'll play with it and see what results I can get.

Thank you so much!
0 0
Ericool
That's good news!
0 0
ncpaddler
What a wonderful tip on the hideflags Eugeny!  This is why I stalk the forum.... lol

Also, VF+infinigrass will be incredible.
0 0
Morcrist
Initial results are encouraging. The developer is even working on tech for the next release I believe that will allow procedural "planting" of grass so painting won't be necessary.

I'll post some screens when I get a chance.
0 0
Morcrist
As promised...

Screenshot (1).png 
Screenshot (5).png 
Screenshot (8).png 
Screenshot (9).png 
Screenshot (10).png
  Screenshot (11).png 

I was able to add a few lines into the painting code that dir a material check (i.e., only paint on grass in my case). It still spills over into surrounding materials if you set the spread too high, but I'm sure that could be solved by some additional code.

I didn't do any really dense grass because my computer started protesting in the editor. [tongue]

Take care.
0 0
Eugeny
Great results!

How does painting work? Like creating mask in X-Z coordinates?
0 0
ncpaddler
I have same question. Do you paint this directly onto terrain in edit mode and it automagically shows up at runtime? Surely not, but one can hope. Also what water are you using there?
0 0
Morcrist
You paint in scene view with a circular brush that applies the current grass to the terrain underneath. It shows immediately in scene view, just how it looks in game. So yeah, it's really convenient. There are 52 thousand million settings to adjust as well, so....

I'm trying to get some more dense looking grass. I'll post a few more shots once I get it looking better. I would recommend considering the asset. The maker is working on the next version to include completely procedural grass generation, no painting necessary, eta January.
0 0
Morcrist
And oh, I'm using the Ultimate Water System. They branched off from the PlayWay Water System (which is pretty much not being developed anymore). I remember spending hours researching the different water systems about a year and a half ago and PlayWay's looked the best to me.

But what's really cool about the Infinigrass is that you can pretty much code up your own solution. I mean, it was trivial to open up the scripts and make it only paint on material=3 (grass) using the raycast thinger we all helped figure out (here). I can easily imagine doing some kind of procedural implementation which grows stuff around the player. At least, if you can't wait till January or just want to play with it.

It supposedly has grass the player can interact with, but I haven't fiddled too much with it yet to get it working.

Take care!
0 0