xouxoux
Dear sir,
As a Terrain Engine user, i just re-discovered your product which I thought was intended for bigger productions and studios.
Now that it is more affordable, I'd like to build a comparison between TE and VF related to the use I have for them, that is 25cm3 cubes terrain and low polygons models.
Because a picture is worth a thousand words, here's what I'm after : 

screenshot4-1024x616.png 
1920x1080x1-1024x576.png 

What's not clear in my mind is the whether or not such application is feasible with VF, which I assume it is, and most importantly which license I need to get there. Is the partial source code access license from the pro version enough?
Because this is mostly a study of feasability, I don't see myself investing without assurance that this is the product I need.
My other question, if the first answer is positive, is about VF's terrain data storage, to which extent is it scalable?

Thank you for your consideration.
Best regards, 

Alexandre
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Nice pictures!

This is very much feasible with Voxel Farm. Also because Voxel Farm voxels feature higher precision, you can get away with even larger voxel sizes. 0.25m voxels would be enough in Voxel Farm to also capture your city geometry in voxels, but since you want voxels only for representing terrain, 1m or 2m voxels could work here and produce the same or more geometrical fidelity as seen in your screenshots.

Something else you can do with Voxel Farm that won't be possible with Terrain Engine is the use of voxel instances to add interesting formations to the terrain.

You can use the INDIE license for this as long as your target platform is just Windows. 

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "scalable" in your question about terrain data storage?
1 0
xouxoux

Thank you for your quick answer.

As a matter of fact, I'm using two types of voxels on the same engine, one for building (using cubes) and the other for terrain and vegetation.

To test it, I can make do with using only Windows. How complex would it be to get this result on VF?

I plan on making thousands of players cohabit on the same map by using a proxy behind which the servers will be. However, I'd need the terrain data to be shared across all servers by using for example a SQL database.

Is this possible?

If not, to which extent, in terms of changes per second, can VF be used this way?

Best regards,

Alexandre

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
It would be fairly simple to reproduce this in Voxel Farm, but you will need a custom (or modified) shader to use flat normals. The default shader uses smooth, interpolated normals, while here you use each triangle's own normal for rendering.

If your terrain is procedural, you would not need a DB to replicate terrain across many users. Since each user will have the same seed and generation parameters, the same terrain can be produced on-the-fly.

Only user changes need to be stored and replicated to multiple clients. This is when people make holes or build things. For this, yes, you could use a SQL (or non-SQL) database.

Voxel Farm is already used this way in an MMO environment. See the game Landmark by Daybreak. The amount of changes per second will be determined by bandwidth. A typical single change will be about 5K. 
1 0
xouxoux

Thank you for all of that information, I'm going to study the documentation to evaluate how complex putting such a shader in place would be.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Alexandre

0 0
WorillaGorilla

Hello Voxel Farm Team,

currently i am investigating which possibilities I have in the different Versions you offer. 
I would like to use a custom (or modified) shader you mentioned in this topic:

"It would be fairly simple to reproduce this in Voxel Farm, but you will need a custom (or modified) shader to use flat normals."

With which Version of Voxel Farm is this possible to do (Indie, Pro, ...)?

Thank you ! 

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
This is possible with INDIE.

Have you decided which rendering system/game engine to use? 
1 0
WorillaGorilla

Yes I will use the Unreal Engine 4 for my planned game. I am not completely familiar with the rendering system, but i think the Unreal Engine allready provides one (so I will use that). 

0 0
WorillaGorilla
I want to buy the INDIE Version next week, but i am not sure if Voxel Farm can handle destruction (see picture).
For the first steps I would like to convert Meshes into Voxels, that can be destrucable (destruction should look like the pictures). Can i do this with Voxel Farm in combination with the Unreal Engine?

Voxel Destruction (2).png 

And the destructed material should not disappear, all parts shall stay in the world (as can be seen in the picture).

Well i know that this can be an performance issue, because the Game has to load a lot of Meshes. 
But my idea is to make meshes, that are not impacted by any force static (I think there is allready a option for this in the unreal engine see picture).
I would like to ask if this be done with Voxel Farm INDIE (as far as this is a Voxel Farm concern)?
0 0