Morcrist
Does the unity VF DLL support random terrain generation? If not, any plans for it?

Thanks!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
It depends on your definition of random.

If you mean terrain that appears different as you continue walking, then yes. In Voxel Farm version 2 you can have a single Biome object that will show variation depending on how many different sublayers you add to it. Each terrain sublayer brings some randomness to the final result.

This is taken to another level of variety in Voxel Farm 3 (to be released August 2016). Here you can have multiple biomes shuffled in a random manner. You get the randomness inside each biome plus the randomness of biomes changing into another.
0 0
Morcrist
What about overhangs and caves? I haven't really found anything showing how to implement them.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You can achieve overhangs and other forms of non-heightmap topologies by using voxel instances. The general idea is you select on which layer these formations will occur, and then you place instanced voxel content that was produced out of regular closed meshes. Voxel Farm 3 will introduce meta-meshes, which will allow you to import much larger custom objects (1Km or more) into your landscape.

For caves, you may want to take a look at the Voxel Studio extension for Caves. You can add this from the "Add" > "Custom" menu in the Voxel Studio UI:

caves.jpg 
The extension takes a few maps to generate caves. First you need to supply a heightmap that will determine the elevation changes for the base of all caves. This is because you do not want all caves to appear at the same height in the world.

You then can provide a mask that turns caves on and off. The cave gradually collapses as the mask values are closer to zero.

And then you may provide two displacement maps, one for the ground of the caves and one for the ceiling of the cave.

The following diagram shows how these different aspects play together:

cavediagram.png 
Full source code for this extension is included in the Voxel Studio installation.

0 0
Morcrist
Awesome, Diley! Thank you. So these maps need to be of the same size and types as the biome heightmap/masks/etc.?

And also, it sounds like we could include multiple cave layers as well?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Each map can have a different size. There are individual parameters to determine how many world units each map sample represents.

You could have many of these layers, but keep an eye on performance. In the Voxel Studio stats looks for the contribution of the "Extensions" layer.
0 0
jessejarvis
Wow VoxelFarm is a lot different than I thought it was lol.

I'm trying myself to create Cube World-esque terrain like so:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgJDbxZ_Y8&t=24s

Except I have no idea where to start.

I am using the trial right now before I buy and am hoping to get something working. So many features I don't know how to create a simple terrain, on YouTube right now watching some vids so hopefully that will help.
0 0