Blargenflargle

I'm having trouble getting navigation working. So far I've done the following:

I've tried baking the navmesh but that's not working. I tried loading the navmesh example and that's not working either. Do my project settings have to be configured a certain way? Thanks in advance.
0 0
Ericool
Hi Blargenflargle,
A few things to ensure, if not already :
- The agent type set on the client is the same than what your agents are using;
- Material asset names are set on the navigation tab;
- Navigation is enabled on the client;
- Area mask is set properly on the client;

You can visualize the terrain material coverage by opening both the scene tab and navigation tab and selecting the client in the scene hierarchy.
If you are not seeing any colorized areas, then it's probably something else. 
Let us know.
1 0
Blargenflargle
"- Material asset names are set on the navigation tab;"

What exactly do you mean with this step? I can't find this in the tutorial. I assume I have to put all of... some materials under the "Areas" tab in the "Navigation" tab. Am I right? Where can I find the list of materials that I need to put in there? Thank you
0 0
Blargenflargle
I should add that I've done the other stuff, but I haven't set the material names on the navigation tab or the corresponding area masks because I'm not sure what I should set them to.
0 0
Ericool
Hi Blargenflargle,
In Voxel Studio Project Items tab you have your materials. Some are used by the terrain with you maps and so on. Others could be for trees. You want to use materials for the terrain. So simply select a material and scroll down in the Item Properties tab to set a name ( not asset name, I should have corrected that in my previous post ).
Save then export your project to Unity.
In Unity, in the navigation tab/area section you set the material asset name to any area available.
Then, on the client you can set your navigation area mask to filter what area you need for the plugin to bake for navmeshes in your scene, for example you can simply set the area mask to everything.

Let us know if you still experience difficulties, we are here to help.
0 0
Blargenflargle

Okay, I seem to have this mostly working. For a prototype I wanted to use your "Continent and Biomes" generation. Seems pretty cool and powerful! The only problem is that it leaves me with WAY more than the <32 materials that Unity can handle under the "Areas." Is there a way to get it to generate with fewer materials, or should I build my own terrain generation? This actually initially tripped me up. I assumed that I was supposed to put those materials in my Area tab, there was just to many of them lol.

Also, is there a way to have more than one "Focus Target"? I need to do pathfinding for multiple agents that may be pretty far away from each other.

0 0
Blargenflargle
After reviewing https://forums.voxelfarm.com/post/mmo-masterserver-collison-detection-for-multiple-targets-8576047?highlight=multiple+focus&pid=1297288125 I understand that this won't exactly be "plug and play." Say I had a server/client setup similar to what the user described here. Voxelfarmtorres describes 2 solutions to solving this problem; the clipmap solution and the non-clipmap solution. How would I go about loading the collision for pathfinding purposes on a headless server for the non-clipmap solution? I understand I'd have to interact with the API in some way, but this documentation is a little messy if I'm honest. Plus I don't know C++ so that's another challenge. Any chance I could get some kind of basic example of what I might call to accomplish this? I appreciate your help
0 0
Blargenflargle
Just an example of how to load a chunk at a specific world coordinate would be great!
0 0
Ericool
Hi Blargenflargle,
To answer your first question, indeed we are currently limited to 32 materials as navigatable areas. But it is good suggestion that we might look into in order to support more than 32 materials in the future.
Your second question, having more focus target is something we thought of, but did not continue in that direction. Will have to see with the team if that is something we could integrate in the Unity plugin or not.

I want to add as well that the main reason why we did not added the possibility of multiple navigatable region like you mentionned, since we already thought of it, is essentially because of the way we build navmeshes, collisions around a focus. And since the plugin is limited to one focus, we have this limitation as of now. So if we ever support multiple focus, which will require several changes in the engine, we'll let you know.

For your other questions non related to navigation, I am recommending you to create separate topics, so that this will help others in the forum.
0 0