Anasky

Hey there,

I recently came across VoxelFarm while looking for a way to get procedural terrain in my engine.
I noticed that the Indie version allows for a stand-alone SDK version, and had a few questions with regards to it.

Can the rendering of voxels be combined with our already-existing shaders?
Does the stand-alone version have the same options as the plugin version? Or in other words, are there any downsides in comparison?
Are there any foreseen difficulties with rendering the voxels using pbr?

So far these are the things that've been on my mind before going for VoxelFarm. It looks great [smile]

Yours sincerely,

Joey

P.S.: I'm not the graphics guy of the team, more the code lead and the one with the wallet, so my apologies if some questions sound noob-ish.

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Can the rendering of voxels be combined with our already-existing shaders?

Yes, this will be no problem. Voxel Farm outputs traditional triangle geometry which you get to shade pretty much any way you like. We can have a closer talk with your engineers just to make sure there is nothing in your existing shaders will create a conflict. If you want to take advantage of the multi-material aspect of Voxel Farm and how materials can blend/bleed into each other, your existing shaders will probably have to change a bit in order to process three materials per fragment.

Does the stand-alone version have the same options as the plugin version? Or in other words, are there any downsides in comparison?

The plugins are just connectors of the Voxel Farm engine to the game engines (UE and Unity). You will have more options since the plugins currently do not cover everything you can do directly from the Voxel Farm C++ API.

Are there any foreseen difficulties with rendering the voxels using pbr?

Not at all, this was one of the design goals of Voxel Farm. The PBR models in Unity and UE are fully exploited by the respective plugins, and if you have your own PBR renderer it will be the same.
1 0
Anasky

Thanks for the info [smile]

Had my engineer take a further look at the library along with your messages and he's not foreseeing any issues.
Is there a list somewhere which contains the external features you guys use in UE4 / Unity, so that we know which features we should implement to fully make use of VoxelFarm?

Thanks in advance,
Joey

0 0
Tene
Hi, I am the graphics developer of our team. Just to clarify on the PBR shader, we have a pretty much standard variant which can support both multiple texture maps and numeric values as input to setup lighting, so there will most likely be no problems using them for Voxel Farm. It is a good thing to know that triangle geometry is being output as a result, saves time on possible shader conversion.
No questions from my end as far as I know.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Unfortunately, we do not have a list of things to do, mainly because each engine is quite different.

Probably the easiest is to look at one OpenGL example we include that fully implements the geometry part and uses a very simple GLSL shader. The rather more complex shaders used by the default forward OpenGL renderer in Voxel Farm will also be available to you in the demos. And, if you license PRO you will see the full source code for the OpenGL renderer.

The INDIE package contains full source code for the UE and Unity implementations. You will see the shader code for Unity and the Material expression for UE.
0 0
Anasky

I take it you also don't have a list of things that are being used from UE4 / Unity?

Alright, thanks. We'll use the examples then [smile]

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
The simplest example where you can see this is VoxelFarmDemoThinClient. This demo is paired with a server demo since voxel world generation happens on the server and the client only does the mesh generation and rendering.

To run the server you will need to provide a port number:

genserver.png

Once you connect the client to this server, you will see a scene like this:

thinclient.png    
1 0