voxelox

1)  Is there an example of how to emulate Voxel Studio's entire 'Voxel Edit' menubar and in-world selection tool in Unreal engine? 

2)  How can I fill my selection so that the *exact* volume of the selection is filled, rather than smoothed between points? In the image below, the edge  is smoothed across the midpoint.. I would like to disable this smoothing and restrict the fill to the exact boundaries of the selection tool

[image]

3) If #2 is possible, an issue arises where in each of the faces of the selection, the winding order of the coordinate points of the two triangle polygons that make up each individual face determines how it folds diagonally across the center when a face is non-planar. How the face folds diagonally determines how the selection will look when filled.

[image]
[image]

A face can fold diagonally in 2 possible ways/directions depending on the winding order of the point coordinates of the 2 triangles that make up the face.

In order for the aformentioned fill feature to be possible, the user to would need to be able to select/toggle between the two possibilities, so that the user has control over how the each individual face folds when the face is non-planar. Also a line would need to be drawn to illustrate where the face folds.

The reason why I need these features is because the maps in my game are mostly made up of variations of exactly the shape of the selection tool as shown above - it doesn't have terrain or much that is 'organic' in shape. I know that the same 'look and fill' can be 'simulated' in additional voxel editing steps, but I wish to make it possible for my players to create maps in a consistent way and with the least effort.

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) Sorry, there is no example of the entire voxel edit menu in UE4 at the moment

2) It is not possible at the moment. These are control points that deform a much higher resolution box, which is the actual selection.
0 0
voxelox

Regarding #1 - Are there any Unreal engine world editing examples that I can look at?

Regarding #2 - Could I write my own editing/selection tool that achieves this desired feature in Unreal engine?

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) The unreal demo included in the SDK calls the stamp mesh tools, which can be used to perform most edit actions (note minecraft-style box editing can be implemented if you use a box as the mesh). The example, however, does not cover gizmo display and interaction.

2) Yes you have all that is required to implement your own selection tool in UE.
0 0