Kovak
Really impressed so far with both Voxel Farm's capabilities and the indie license price! A couple questions:

1. How do you determine what material voxels are removed and how many of each by a StampInstruction that remove voxels and vice versa for stamping voxels into the scene?

2. How would you achieve a thin layer of grass voxels that grow on top of certain other voxels (like the way the grass grows on dirt in Minecraft)? 

3. Sometimes when removing voxels, I get left over faces. In the center left of this screencap, 4 cubes have been removed leaving a cross shaped middle section of geometry:  leftOverFacesExample.png 
They disappear on a reload of the scene, but when they occur player can get stuck in them and such, seem to still exist as geometry.

4. How to avoid having the player fall through the world if they dig down and the geometry loads a bit slow?

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1. Stampmesh at the moment does not return a list of materials and quantities for each

2. If you want this layer to be volumetric, it has to be written by whatever component you use to create the terrain. The default terrain component does not do layers, it only writes the dominant material at the point. If you do not want this layer to have a thickness, you can use a submaterial placement. 

3. In your picture it is not clear from where this geometry comes from. Can you send us a video?

4. This should not happen as the unreal implementation should flip meshes only when a new version is produced, but we are getting repeated reports of it. We are currently looking at this.

0 0
Kovak
re 1: How are games like landmark counting how many voxels are removed when you mine or placed when you add something in order to do mechanics where harvesting is important? Are they estimating the number based on volume?

re 2: I would like to register interest in tutorial content related to taking a voxel world created with the Voxel Studio and adding dynamic content like grass growing on dirt or minecraft style block trees of a wood voxel. I don't quite see how to make my voxel world come alive rather than just being static deformable terrain at the moment.

re 3: https://youtu.be/scXyHlfD-xI on reviewing the video it looks like maybe some faces are not generated that  do reappear when reloaded.

re 4: A roadmap for the bugs and features being planned for UE4 integration would be nice; I'm happy to experiment away with whatever pieces I have but it would be nice to have a more full picture of the types of things that are planned as far as major features (I have read multiplayer in another thread) as well as problematic (issues such as falling through world, which occurs fairly often, would make it hard to actually release a ue4 game at the moment)
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) Different groups have used different approaches. One is to modify the stampmesh function to count voxels as they are deleted. The reason why this is not in the vanilla stampmesh is producing the material histogram for the operation could be as time-consuming as the actual voxelization, once you factor there are 65,536 possible materials. A different approach is to compare with the previous version of a cell. When the user changes content by using any tool, there is a callback that is used for saving. At time time you could compare with the previous version of that same cell and compute the material differential. The advantage is this happens after the tool has modified the world and the user has received visual feedback, and this process runs entirely in the background. Another advantage is this covers any sort of modification made by the user, regardless of tool.

3) We'll try to reproduce this, but we cannot explain what we see there. What mesh are you using? What is the size of the stamp operation?

4) Whatever blocks you from releasing a game gets higher priority. For instance we'll be looking at the update gaps in ue4 next week.
0 0
Kovak
re 3) The mesh being used is the VoxelFarm/bomb1/cube mesh provided with the example project for ue4. It is stamped with a scale of 1.0, the VOXEL_TO_UE_SCALE = 4 if that matters.

Thanks for the quick answers!
0 0