HeyMufti
Do stamps have unique identification, and can they be removed uniquely after placement?

Or do they merge with a single voxel construct?

Example; If I place a large stone stamp onto a voxelized terrain; can I remove that stone without affecting the terrain, or is it just merged together and subject to standard voxel destruction rules?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Mesh stamping is a voxelization process, the identity of the mesh is not preserved.

You can, however, delete the voxels you have stamped, reverting the terrain to its original condition. This is how the "forget" tool works. It works at the voxel level, there is no knowledge of meshes at this point.
0 0
HeyMufti
If all voxel blocks are generated via stamps, does the engine retain knowledge of all stamped blocks for easy removal?  Or is the forget feature similar to one step of "undo"?

Think of a bomberman style game.  I'd like to procedurally generate maps and place non-cubic meshes, say a sphere for the examples sake.  Then I'd like to be able to remove this sphere in whole without changing other voxel data.

Or alternatively, if you stamp multiple versions of a house onto terrain in an rts-like game.  Can you uniquely remove all the houses without affecting the terrain?

I know in the bomberman specific example it's better to not use voxels, it's just an example to clarify the question.

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You need to think in terms of layers, pretty much like Photoshop pixel layers, but full 3D. The forget tool deletes the voxels from the layer that contains the user edits, but leaves the other layers untouched.

Yes, you can remove all the houses without affecting the terrain by clearing out the voxel layer that has the houses.
0 0
HeyMufti
So this forget tool seems to only be available in the editor you provide, is that correct?

What I was asking was to remove individual houses/objects.  To be able to add and remove them at will without affecting other voxels.  Think, two overlapping houses.  Could I just remove one if they're both on the same layer?  Or would a new layer be required per object?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You can delete voxels from a voxel layer using the SDK, I used the forget tool as an example.

To keep two houses as separate entities, you will need to place each house on its own layer.
0 0
HeyMufti
Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.  Unfortunately for what I'm doing I'm not sure if this is the right tool or not.
0 0