ncpaddler
I'm focusing now on my players ability to mine resources and to flatten/fill in terrain if needed. But so far, using StampMesh, I get only sharp boolean operations to the terrain. Most voxel systems that I've worked with and voxel games that Ive played seem to modify the terrain in a different fashion that produces smooth rounded caves instead of sharp craggy ones. I'm going to experiment over the next few days to see what is possible, but would like any info you could provide:

1) Is there a way to soften the stampmesh tools so that they deform the terrain in a less crisp manner? Kinda like having an opacity setting on the stampmesh operation.

2) Do you have any tips that would help me make terrain flattening and filling tools a possiblility (maybe a way to limit stampmesh to happen only above a certain Y level)
1 0
voxelfarmtorres
1) Is this for caves or impact craters? One possible approach is to average vertex positions for voxels in the impact area. This will smooth the hard edges. If the terrain is procedural in your case, this may require asking the generator to produce the voxels for the affected cells since the blockData layer may contain only the voxels removed by the stamp.

2) These seem a bit tied to your application/game. Can you describe more about how this flattening and filling tool would work?
0 0
ncpaddler
I was thinking of something along the lines of "average vertex positions for voxels in area" but don't quite understand the voxelfarm data and methods enough to know how to start manipulating the voxel vertex positions of a particular cell. Could you point out a starting point for me (an example of how I could read and write the vertex positions of the terrain that I'm currently pointing at) to start working with that vertex data directly, then once I get some understanding of it, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the desired results.

Also, on question#2, I think this will be easily achieved once I can accomplish the above. These tools will give the user ability to fill in holes that he/she dug and no longer wants, bury stashes of contraband or valuables, etc. The flattening tool will allow him to easily terraform a nice flat patch of land for placing a building or garden.
0 0
ncpaddler
Please provide tips on how I can go about "asking the generator to produce the voxels for the affected cells"  I really, really, really want to get a handle on this!
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I apologize for the delay. I should get a code snippet from the devs shortly and post it here.
0 0
Eugeny
I'm also interested in this question.
0 0