hlwerschner
I have loaded the toonBiome example data into VoxelFarm and have followed the Tutorial to export to Unity into the requested folder structure of a fresh Unity project, after having added the Voxelfarm unity plugin as it is part of the trial package. I have created a folder Assets/StreamingAssets/VoxelFarm/vfImport, specified this in VoxelFarm editor and started the export, which was successful. The resulting folders files look similar like the screenshot in the tutorial. I then changed the Bundle Name in the VoxelFarm client object to "vfImport" and pressed Play as said in the turorial. The Game mode window stays grey and empty!
I have tested the process with Unity 2018.2.0f2 and even with 5.6.6 Version (receiving messages that the scripts are inconsistent), so I now am confused what the VoxelFarm -> Unity export really is doing.

Btw: trying to load and "play" one of the VoxelFarm demos (ToonBiome or TurtleMountain) also do NOTHING?!

Is there any chance to get this software to work? The VoxelFarm editor is so promising but for me it makes only sense when I can use the stuff in Unity (current version 2018.2.14 and very soon 2018.3).
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Please note the correct folder name is described here:  https://www.voxelfarm.com/doc.html?creating-a-voxel-farm-bundle

The folder name you are using is not correct. You are missing the space in "Voxel Farm". Instead of "Assets/StreamingAssets/VoxelFarm/vfImport", your bundle should be placed at "Assets/StreamingAssets/Voxel Farm/vfImport"

0 0
hlwerschner
Ah , OK, that was an error, easily corrected but no change. I will try to attach a screenshot of all relevant information in the project.
0 0
hlwerschner
maybe my last answer got lost. I changed the folder name and no change. I then started a new project in unity and did load the ToonBiome package. The attached screenshot shows that all properties should be set (following the examples tutorial). Something is not working for me, please help.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Can you set the focus property as well? You can use your Main Camera as the target.
0 0
hlwerschner
In scene mode I can look around but do not see anything else except the light , camera. I game mode the display stays fixed (as in the screenshots).
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I'm sorry, it is not clear if you set the Focus Target property to your camera. Did you perform this additional step?

The main camera behavior is not controlled by Voxel Farm, but by your game logic. Your camera is fixed in game mode probably because there is no behavior for it.
0 0
hlwerschner
It would have been helpful to know that I have to import the package Voxel Farm Unity.Examples, which adds a character to the scene and as far as I found out by trial and error, it makes the scene visible finally. I will continue to test and find out how things work together.
0 0
hlwerschner
...now I have a character hanging in the scene, but can not move it. The Adventurer object has a Character Controller script, but the movement keys do nothing, As well, there is not physics which causes the character to fall down to the surface.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
It is not necessary to import Voxel Farm Unity.Examples

An approach that works well is to create a project with the standard assets. You can pick which scene you want as the base for your scene, for instance, you could pick the ThirdPerson character scene. At this point, you will have a character that behaves the way you want.

To this scene you can then add and set up the Voxel Farm plugin. Please make sure you have properly set the "Target Focus" property. If you picked the ThirdPerson template, the actual character is the best object to use as the target of focus.
0 0
hlwerschner
I have created a new project just as you suggested, added camera + a player + a simple plane and tested that the player can be moved and look around. I used objectes ("Ethan") from the Unity standard asset. After this first verification I added the Voxelfarm plugin, added the scene as exported from Voxelfarm trial, added all files to the StreamingAssets(Voxel Farm/<bundle> folder, checked that the client object has Bundle Name and Focus Traget set and pressed play. All tutorials I have seen show the imported VoxelFarm scene already in the "scene" mode window, but I did not see any change when I had entered the bundle name. Sometimes, I see very short popping up messages (for importing "small assets" ?). In "Game" mode, I can look around with the player but do not see any scene plane - the attached screenshot shows this state. When I walk off the small plane, I start falling for at least 18000 units or more. When I stop game mode and go back to scene mode, I have once observed that I can see some plane deep down under my player. I have created player + camera in default position 0,0,0.

I have tested with different exported voxelfarm scenes, but can not see anything usable. Please help, I can send more screenshots and/or zipped export data.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Please email us a link to your project, it will be the quickest way.
0 0
hlwerschner
I am sorry, but I do not understand "link to your project", I am using Unity Personal edition on my local Windows PC and all files/folders of the project are locally stored on this PC. This PC can not be reached via internet access. I could send a zip of the complete project but it is qutite large because of (1) the VoxelFram plugin 2.6 GB as well as the export files 1.6 GB. The resultung zip is around 870 MB! The only other option I did see was the Unity team collaboration in services, but I do not know how to configure it to allow temporary access to one specific guest. As far as I have seen, I would need a defined email address for such a guest user as minimum.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You can use free services like dropbox.com to upload files and create links to them you can share. We can notify you as soon as we got the files so they won't take space from your account.

Still, somehow the numbers do not exactly add up: The Voxel Farm Unity plugin is below 1 megabyte compressed. Earlier you mentioned you were testing with the Toon scene. The Unity bundle for this scene is 35 megabytes. The Unity overhead on top of this should be minimal. If you are getting file sizes ten times that size, it is a red flag on its own and it may be worth investigating on your end.
0 0
hlwerschner
Hi, I have created a dropbox link for a zip archive: [REDACTED_OUT]

You are correct with the sizes. I had used the project with 2 different export folders and the one which I had first created with a test plane was about 1 GB large as uncompressed set of files. I additionally found that inside of the voxelfarm plugin there is a folder containing caches and there both exports were kept as copies! So my test-files added up to more that 2GB. Removing all that stuff - and testing in Unity that the symptom stays - I have created the new zip and its now as small as you expect.
0 0