hlwerschner Show full post »
voxelfarmtorres
We tested your project. It did not show any content because the setting for World Origin and Bundle Name were not correct.

Once we corrected them, the Voxel Farm content starts to show:

toonsettings.png 
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
About this error from your first post:

"Btw: trying to load and "play" one of the VoxelFarm demos (ToonBiome or TurtleMountain) also do NOTHING?!"

Please make sure you have installed Voxel Farm outside Program Files or any other special folder in Windows. Even if your account has admin rights, this will cause issues with the demos.
0 0
hlwerschner
HI, thank you very much for the corrected coordinates. I am quite unsure where those values come from. I imported from Voxelstudio again and the import now works and is really impressing.

Your comment about installing outside Program files may be OK but when I did the unstall of the current trial edition and tries to re-install the trial key was rejected. Looks like I need to request a new trial ...
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
These are the coordinates that show in Voxel Studio's render tab. This setting in Unity is saying you would like that point of the Voxel Studio project to be at the origin of the game object.

We canceled your trial upon your request a few days ago. We can re-instate this trial if you want, no need to get a new key. Please confirm this is what you would like.
0 0
hlwerschner
YES, please reactivate the trial. I currently look forward to do some more testing and the use from the newest version Unity 2018.2.15f1 seems to works fine.
0 0
hlwerschner
Hi gain. After your remark that the world-coordinates of the imported scene (ToonBiome) were wrong and that I should have used Y around 6500 I was wondering where the missmatching coordinates came from. I tried a different scene which I had built within the VoxelEditor and finally found out that the Y cooordinate for that scene had to be around 25000 to achieve a good game display.

I then did two versions of fresh projects to test what happened with these world coordinates, because when switching between two diffrent imported scenes in one app, I was startled to notice that the world coordinates NEVER were updated when a new scene bundle name was entered in the VoxelFarm plugin:

1/
0 0
hlwerschner
Hi gain. After your remark that the world-coordinates of the imported scene (ToonBiome) were wrong and that I should have used Y around 6500 I was wondering where the missmatching coordinates came from. I tried a different scene which I had built within the VoxelEditor and finally found out that the Y cooordinate for that scene had to be around 25000 to achieve a good game display.

I then created two versions of fresh projects to test what happened with these world coordinates, because when switching between two different imported scenes in one app, I was startled to notice that the world coordinates NEVER were updated when a new scene bundle name was entered in the VoxelFarm plugin.
The plugin as add to a project has Bundle Name = "ToonBiome" and coordinates X = 25795911.879476, Y = 227537.14528 and Z = 25521310.087047: Please note that the Y coordinate which you said is wrong (should be around 6500) is a value set in the plugin without any change by me.

1/  in the first new project I included the VoxelFarm plugin BEFORE even adding any import scene files into StreamingAssets/Voxel Farm/<bundle> and found that the plugin sets  bundle name = "ToonBiome" and the world coordinates as above when the plugin is added to the project structure. I did take a short look into the script "voxelfarm_client" and noticed that the world coordinates are initialized to 0, 0, 0 and then a DLL routine is called which perhaps may replace the above values. When I added my bundle = "GreenTerrain" to the StreamingAssets/Voxel Farm/GreenTerrain I noticed that even adapting the Bundle Name = "GreenTerrain" in the plugin DID NOT CHANGE the associated worldcoordinates!
There seems to be no logic that detects a change of the bundle name (even after primary initialization of the plugin) that synchronizes the world coordinates. From a remark in one of your answers I did take it that the world coordinates are part of the exported scene and that the plugin takes those values for its own processing ?!

2/ As a 2nd try I created another new project, added the StreamingAssets/Voxel Farm/<bundle> folder for bundle = "GreenTerrain", added the appropriate files and checked that the Unity Editor did showw all that structure correctly. I THEN ADDED the VoxelFarm plugin and I expected that it does a check for the import folder (the only one in this project) ... But again, the plugin shows Bundle Name = "ToonBiome" and some imaginary coordinates from somewhere (i.e. the same coordninates as in topic 1/ above). The plugin seems to initialize itself to ONLY ONE export scene ToonBiome and takes coordniates which may have been correct sometimes in the past but not for the current downloaded ToonBiome scene. The plugin does NOT CHECK wether the <bundle> folder does EXIST and/or does contain any (different) scene where it should take the world coordinates from!

In both cases I could make the plugin work by adjusting (via several Y coordinate guesses) the world coordinates to proper working!. I dont believe that this is the correct way to integrate exported scenes into Unity projects. I would be willing to do a call to such a synchronizing routine myself in a script, if (a) such a function which reads the coordinates from the "real bundle to be used" does exist as plugin service and (b) a proper event (such as "Bundle Name has changed") can be used to trigger the needed synchronisation.

I foresee that I may create a project where I want to switch between several <bundles> dynamically by having more than one <bundle> folder in StreamingAssts/Voxel Farm/... but this can only work if the plugin provides correct synchronisation when a new <bundle> is requested. I currently can swap between diffrent bundles manually in scene mode + adjusting the coordinates manually but this is certainly not the way the plugin is intended to work.

I have to suspend further evaluation of this topic until I again can install the trial version with the provided key. I am sure that I will have more questions :-)

Thank you for your patience and extensive answering to my problems.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
This is the correct and expected behavior. You are expected to provide the origin coordinates. The coordinates you see in Voxel Studio are where the camera is currently positioned. As you work in one scene your camera will be in different positions, but you still want the Unity world to remain pinned to the coordinates you want. For this reason, you need to choose which coordinates you want to use. Otherwise, your content will shift every time you produce a bundle, all mesh props and characters you have placed in the scene will become misplaced.

The same way the bundle name cannot be updated when you do a bundle export. You are expected to perform some basic setup to the plugin, the software cannot correctly guess your intent in these cases.

Once it is clear you must provide the coordinates and desired bundle name yourself, Unity is the best place to place them. If you want to have additional logic loading multiple bundles, your logic should also be in charge of knowing the desired bundle names and origin coordinates.
0 0
hlwerschner
Hi again! I resumed my evaluation - after reactivation, thank you - and started by doing the export of the toonbime-2 scene from your examples download (see attached file 1). I added the exported files to my Unity project and entered the coordinates from voxelstudio for the current position into the plugin, pressed play to resync the display and swapped back to scene mode (see attached file 2).

I have two questions:
1/ the scenes (regarding the terrain form itself) are similar but not identical. Where comes the difference from and how different can it be? When I plan a scene and Voxelstudio and can not be sure that I will get what I planned .....

2/ The trees + plants as well as the grass are drastically different in amount and placement. In Unity there are much more of the cone shaped trees and the misture of round / coned trees is also not matching. With trees and plants, the exported scene looks totally different! Btw: moving the player around (in game mode) is almost impossible because of the unexpected denseness of generated trees. As I will need trees with collide behaviour, it is not a solution to remove collision detection.

How - and to what degree - can I achieve the scene to look the same as created in VoxelStudio?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
I can confirm the instance density is not matching inside Unity. We'll have a developer look at this in the next few hours.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
We have identified the issue affecting you. If you are using non-English formatting for numeric values (for instance comma instead of a period for decimals) Voxel Studio will write decimal values with commas in the bundle, but the Unity side won't be able to read this. The only workaround at the moment is to use the software with the English format for decimals.
0 0
Ericool
Hi hlwerschner,
in order for Unity to read the bundle, you will have to either set manually the region format to English(United States) RegionAndLanguage.png  Or you can try to run this batch file below, which should work in your case.

Make sure that Voxel Studio is closed when you do these changes.

In the screenshot aboce you can also click on Additional settings.. and set the decimal separator to . (dot) . That might work without changing the format to English(United States). Be sure to click on all Apply and OK so that it can be effective.

Let us know if it went well or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qssmbg3yzu8dnoo/DecimalSeparatorCommaToDot.bat?dl=0

0 0
hlwerschner
Hi. Thank you for this effort. I tested it with the BAT makro and it worked fine!

Is there a chance that you enhance the plugin to automatically adapt to different region settings? Because a a great range of software on this PC I can not switch the settings permanently.

Thank you again!  I can continue my evaluation with a lot more confidence.
0 0
hlwerschner
Hi again. Maybe I was a bit too fast. The density of trees is now OK, but I notice that grass material is different/missing and the mushrooms have wrong density / size. Is there a possibility to check for correct property values?
0 0