Brian
Hi, I just wanted to get some confirmation on the best work flow when developing for Unity. One of our goals is that our game is easily moddable so we want the textures and world generation parameters to be read at run time. For this reason we want our use of Voxel Farm to be through game code rather than Voxel Studio.

Currently (from reading http://docs.voxelfarm.com/compiling-and-running-the-examples) I understand that if I want to implement a feature then I write that feature in c++ with public export functions and create a dll that I import into my Unity project. I use the example projects in the SDK to do this and should generally re use any code that I can.

My first question is whether there is a more stream lined approach to this? Is there an existing dll with a more comprehensive feature set that I can use in Unity instead of doing this work? If not, do I have the best workflow at the moment?

Secondly, is there any documentation other than docs.voxelfarm.com? It gives a good overview, however there is a lot of detail that is lacking. Are example projects the best place for learning details?

Bonus question: I read on another thread that there is / will be another Unity demo being made. Any update on the time line for that?

Thanks for all your help,
Brian [smile]
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
If you are working with Unity there is not need to implement your feature as a DLL extension. This is intended for those running just the CREATOR package, which is Voxel Studio only.

In order to develop for Unity you will need INDIE or PRO, which include the full SDK. This allows you to extend the engine components in a much simpler way, and also to be in control of how you load your resources. Please note the Unity plugin does compiles into a DLL, but this should not be confused with the Voxel Studio extension DLLs. When working with Unity you will not be expected to create a new DLL. Any changes you do in the C++ side of the project will be included in the existing DLL.

The SDK contains a dozen example projects in full source code. These cover from the most basic setup possible to full fledged Unity and UE4 integrations.

We will be updating the Unity demo soon. It is scheduled to happen within the next two updates.
0 0
Brian
Thanks for the quick reply Torres. What you say makes sense, I seem to have gotten ahead of myself.

I am running VF INDIE so I understand I should open VoxelFarm/SDK/Solutions.VS/VoxelFarmSDK - vs2015.sln, and compile the project. This copies the latest dlls, etc to the appropriate folders (\main_unity_project\Assets\Plugins\ for the Unity demo). That's great and works well for the 64 bit dll but should I be able to build the 32 bit dll?

If I go to \Voxel Farm\SDK\lib\x86\ I don't see the .lib files for VoxelFarmLibrary and VoxelFarmIOLibrary, yet they are there in the x64 folder. Am I just missing files or is the 32 bit dll unsupported?

Once again, thanks for your help and sorry about all the questions!

Brian [smile]
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
You are correct, the 32bit versions of the libs are not included in the last INDIE SDK (3.0.0.3). We see no demand for 32bit builds, for this reason we left these libs out. Voxel Farm does support 32bit build, it is just that you will need PRO to be able to build 32bit libs with this version. 

We will include 32bit libs in the next update for the INDIE SDK. If this is blocking your project we can send them to you right away.
0 0
Brian
No we don't need them right away, thanks for the offer though. We really just wanted to be complete.

Thanks [smile]
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
We have released Voxel Farm 3.0.0.4 which includes 32bit libraries.
0 0