rush

Hello,

I am a potential customer of Voxel Farm, but as my current development for the FireTV has been somewhat of a failure. I wanted to explain what I am trying to accomplish, and see if Voxel Farm will be the right fit for what I am requiring.

I am currently developing an open world sandbox game for the Amazon Fire TV using Unreal Engine 4. The game takes place in a forest, so the landscape must be low cost so I can populate the environment with the appropriate foliage. Hunting and crafting are some of the features involved with the game as well. Is Voxel Farm supported in Android builds, and based on the FireTV specifications provided at the link below, would Voxel Farm be a good fit for this project?:

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/device-and-platform-specifications

Thank you very much

Rush

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks for considering Voxel Farm.

Voxel Farm supports UE4/Android. Please note the PRO license is required since INDIE is Windows-only.

Voxel Farm will perform well in the specs you have provided. The key is you choose a voxel size and drawing distance that is amenable to the device. We recommend voxel sizes twice as large as what you would use for a PC game. Every time you double the voxel size, the complexity is divided by 8. For PC games, voxels are typically at 0.25 meters. If you used one-meter voxels, you would shrink complexity by 64 times. This proportion is a rather theoretical figure, it depends on how you content layers are implemented, but the gain is from 5 to 8 times for every time you double voxel sizes.

There will be some overhead compared to a non-sandbox, static application. However, once you want a dynamic, modifiable environment for your project, Voxel Farm will provide the best available performance. One of the main reasons is Voxel Farm produces highly optimized meshes which are streamed into UE4 on demand.

0 0
rush

Hello,

Thank you for the extremely quick response.

I had not noticed the INDIE version was for windows only and the $995 cost is a bit steep for one project (This is a game assignment for college). While I absolutely love what Voxel Farm offers, it will have to be a last resort with the cost.

Thank you very much for the information,

Hopefully I will be able to get Voxel Farm in the future.

0 0
voxelfarmtorres
No problem. If you continue to develop your sandbox for FireTV and have some generic questions, you are always welcome to ask. You may be having a problem we have already solved.

Best of luck with your project and hopefully you'll get to play with Voxel Farm in a future project.
0 0
Xilverbulet
One thing that can be an issue for you as well is that as of 4.11 UE4 did not support the proceduralmeshcomponent on Android (or any mobile for that matter.)  This puts a big damper on procedural and destructible work there.
0 0