rich
Hi,

I have been working with Voxel Farm (Pro License) in order to setup our game world and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how to add a sea. I have setup a scene from a heightmap and added all the necessary displacement maps, textures and masks and it looks pretty good. But when I want to add a Water Body no matter what settings I use (i.e. Sea Level or Spring Level) I always seem to get this weird effect or nothing at all:

Water.jpg 

The height of the world is roughly 250m tall (so 2500 in decimeters with a vertical shift of 100)  and I want to have the sea level be 30m (so 300 is decimeters). I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rich
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Please note the that Hydro layer will not add a sea. This layer is to create lakes over your terrain. A sea level parameter is needed for the river/lake generation.

Aside from these two parameters, the shape of your terrain will determine the location of lakes. It can happen that a particular terrain is not able to retain any water, although this is unlikely.

When you fail to get lakes, a possible cause is that spring and sea level parameters do not cover sufficient ground. In you particular case, do you have sufficient terrain area below 30m? If the system cannot reach the sea because there isn't just enough of it, it won't produce the lakes. Another possible cause is the spring level does not cover enough ground as well, what value did you set?

Your terrain is only 250 meters tall, is there a particular reason for this? We believe this should not be a problem for the hydro algorithm but it is unusual. Also note that if you allow your players to dig, 30 meters is very shallow. Players will be reaching the bottom of the world in no time. We strongly recommend you to increase the shift of the terrain by dozens of kilometers. You do not want absolute zero coordinates to appear in your scene at any time.

Also, you can email us your terrain project at support. We can take a look at it and suggest a configuration where you do get lakes.
0 0
rich
Thanks for getting back to me.

When you say Hydro layer I am assuming that is your internal name for Water Bodies?

In regards to the terrain, it definitely has enough terrain below 30m to retain water as I built the landscape in World Machine where you can set the water level, so I have the sea bed at pretty much 0m. I will be editing the height and depth (i.e. shift) at a later date as I just want to make sure the pipeline from World Machine to Voxel Studio to Unity is working well.

I have set the Sea Level at 300 and the Spring Level at 2560, but I have set both these values at lots of different ones trying to get something to appear.

In regards to sending you my project file, is there a way to package it for you within Voxel Studio?
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Yes, Hydro is the Water Bodies, apologies for the company jargon [smile]

You can package your project by selecting "Project > Package" from Voxel Studio menu ribbon. This will create a ZIP file with all file dependencies included within it.

0 0
rich
Sent.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Thanks, we will be checking this out and getting back to you shortly.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Apparently, the size of the terrain features wasn't large enough to contain the water simulation. Do you really need this terrain to be 250 meters max? The mountains depicted here appear to be 10 times larger. When we scaled the terrain up, we got properly formed lakes.

The two following screenshots show the values we tried for maximum height, vertical shift, terrain unit size in the Biome component, and the spring and sea levels in the Water Bodies component.

lakes.jpg 
lakes2.jpg 
0 0
rich
Ok thanks for the information. 

I was hoping that I could 'fake' the sea betweent the two large landmasses as a large lake but it seems that won't work even when I set the terrain to be x10 the size which isn't ideal anyway.

I'm guessing there is no way to decide where the lakes appear? I'm guessing it's just random from my tests.
0 0
voxelfarmtorres
Part of it is random, but it is determined mostly by the terrain shape and its ability to have depressions large enough to hold water.

Lakes work so they can appear at multiple altitudes. If you just want to add sea, there are simpler ways. You can think of the sea layer as a plane you set at the desired altitude. The following screenshot shows a "wave extension" used to set such a plane:

lakes3.jpg 
You can get better results by adding your custom voxel layer, since this extension overwrites the underwater content and performs much more expensive computations than what you would require for a plane.
0 0
rich
Yes that's what I was thinking we would have to do but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong or misunderstanding the usage of the water bodies layer.

Thanks for the help.
0 0
sdacosta
Hi,

I used the wave extension to add water terrain and create kind of an "islands" feel. The water doesn't behave like water though; the terrain underneath it is gone. Is there a better way?
0 0